Truffled parsnip & parmesan bruschetta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12
Scented truffle oil and fresh parmesan make humble parsnips the star in this tasty Christmas canapé
- 1 mini ciabatta or panini roll, cut into 12 x ½cm slices
- 1 garlic clove , halved
- 50g butter
- 3 large parsnips , halved and quartered, cored and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tsp truffle oil , plus more to serve if you like
- 2 tbsp olive oil , plus more to serve
- handful rocket leaves
- 50g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative) shavings
- STEP 1
Heat a griddle pan and toast the bread for about 2 mins on each side until golden and marked. Rub the cut side of the garlic clove over each piece.
- STEP 2
Heat the butter in a large frying pan. Add the parsnips, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cook over a medium heat, shaking regularly until golden and softened, about 20 mins. Add a splash of water if you need to. Remove from the heat and whizz to a purée in a food processor with both of the oils. Season to taste. Set aside at room temperature if serving on the day. Can be chilled up to two days ahead.
- STEP 3
To serve, top the toasts with the truffled parsnip mix (it should be room temperature), scatter with rocket leaves and parmesan shavings, then drizzle with a little more olive oil or truffle oil.