- 150ml sunflower oil, plus extra for the tin
Sunflower oil is made from pressing sunflower seeds and extracting the oil. It's usually…
- 1 large egg
- 284ml carton buttermilk, made up to 350ml with milk
There are two types of buttermilk. Traditional buttermilk is a thin, cloudy, slightly tart but…
- 500g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 140g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
Also known as scallions or green onions, spring onions are in fact very young onions, harvested…
- small bunch chives, snipped
- 25g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
- 200g full-fat soft cheese, gently diced into 2cm cubes
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and oil a 12-hole muffin tin. Whisk the oil, egg and buttermilk. In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, 1 tsp salt and mustard powder, then stir in the cheddar, spring onions, chives and half the Parmesan.
Use a large spoon to gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry – don’t overmix, just lightly combine. With the final few folds, mix in the soft cheese cubes. Spoon the mixture between the holes in the tin (they will be quite full), scatter with the remaining Parmesan and bake for 25 mins.