- 500g pack ciabatta bread mix (we used Wright's)
- 100g garlic butter , at room temperature (we used Lurpak)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 175g grated cheddar or mozzarella , or a mixture
- a little oil , for greasing
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 2 x 400g cans plum tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100g half-fat crème fraîche
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Make up the bread mix following pack instructions, then roll out to a 30 x 40cm rectangle. Spread over 75g of the garlic butter and half the oregano, then sprinkle the cheese and roll up like a Swiss roll.
- STEP 2
Cut into 8 even slices and transfer to a well-greased round 23cm tin and arrange 7 round the outside, 1 in the middle. Brush with any leftover butter. Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place to puff up while you make the soup. Once doubled in size, bake bread for 25-30 mins.
- STEP 3
Heat the remaining garlic butter in a pan until foaming. Add the onion and carrot, and cook until softened. Pour in the tomatoes, crumble over the stock cube, add the remaining oregano and simmer for about 20 mins, then stir in the crème fraîche. Blend and season – it may need a pinch of sugar if it tastes slightly acidic. Add enough boiling water for a good soup consistency and keep on a gentle heat until the bread is done.