- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 150g sushi rice
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ cucumber , cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot , cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 nori sheets
- 2 tsp wasabi paste
- 50g pickled ginger , finely chopped
- 1 lime , juiced
- 2 very ripe avocados , halved, stoned, peeled and sliced
- 200g sushi grade tuna steak , sliced
- small pack coriander , leaves picked
- STEP 1
Put the rice in a bowl, cover with cold water and massage to remove the starch. Drain and repeat until the water runs clear. Put the rice in a small saucepan, cover with 2.5cm of water and put on a tight-fitting lid. Simmer on a medium heat for 10 mins, then take off the heat (leaving the lid on) and steam for a further 15 mins. Stir in the vinegar, then cool completely.
- STEP 2
Toss the cucumber and carrot matchsticks in the soy and leave to marinate.
- STEP 3
Lay out a sushi mat and put a nori sheet, shiny-side down, on top of it. Spread a quarter of the rice over the nori, leaving a 1cm border at the top. Mix the wasabi, ginger and lime juice.
- STEP 4
Layer with the avocado, cucumber and carrot, and tuna. Top with the wasabi mix and coriander. Dampen the top border with a little water, fold in both sides of the nori sheet, then use the sushi mat to help roll. Wrap in foil, slice in half and serve.