Squash, orange & barley salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 175g pearl barley
- 1kg peeled squash or 1 butternut squash , unpeeled
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- zest and juice 1 orange
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ red onion , thinly sliced
- small bunch mint , chopped, reserving a few leaves to serve
- small bunch flat-leaf parsley , chopped, reserving a few leaves to serve
- 2 handfuls rocket
- STEP 1
Boil the barley for 20-25 mins until just tender but with a little bite. Drain.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. If using butternut, thickly slice into rounds, flicking out the seeds as you go, or slice small, round squashes into thin wedges. Toss with 1 tbsp oil, the orange zest and seasoning. Spread over a baking sheet and roast for 40 mins until golden and tender, turning halfway. Set aside while you finish the dish.
- STEP 3
Mix the orange juice, vinegar and remaining oil with the pearl barley and plenty of seasoning. Stir in the onion and chopped herbs, then layer up on a platter with the squash, rocket and remaining mint and parsley leaves.