Spicy pasta soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely sliced
- 800g can whole plum tomato
- 1l vegetable stock
- 100g broken spaghetti
- 4 tbsp chopped pitted black olives
- 2 tbsp chopped capers , drained and rinsed
- large handful basil leaves, roughly torn, or 1 tbsp pesto
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and chilli, then cook for 10 mins until softened. Stir in the tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon as you go, then pour in the stock. Cover, bring to the boil, remove the lid, then simmer for 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Add the spaghetti, then simmer for 6-8 mins until it is just cooked. Stir in the olives, capers and basil or pesto, then serve drizzled with olive oil.