- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1kg clams
- 400g spaghetti or linguine
- 2 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 red chillies , finely chopped
- 140g cherry tomatoes , cut in half
- 100ml dry white wine
- large bunch flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- crusty bread , to serve
- STEP 1
Put a large pan of cold salted water on to boil. Sort through the clams and get rid of those with broken shells. Tap any clams that are open on the work surface – if they don’t close, throw them away. Wash the remaining clams in 2 changes of cold water.
- STEP 2
Cook the pasta in the boiling water following pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the garlic, chilli and tomatoes for 3-4 mins. Add the clams, pour in the wine and quickly put on the lid. Cook for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan occasionally until all or most of the clams have opened. Discard any that don’t open.
- STEP 3
Drain the spaghetti and mix with the clams and parsley. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with crusty bread to soak up the juices.