- 600g natural (undyed) smoked haddock
- 500ml milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g lardons (diced bacon), or chopped streaky bacon
- 2 sticks of celery , thinly sliced
- 3 medium leeks , washed and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium potatoes , peeled and diced into small cubes
- 500ml fish or chicken stock
- 125g frozen sweetcorn , thawed
- 142ml carton single cream
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh parsley
- STEP 1
Lay the haddock in a deep frying pan and pour over the milk. Cover and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave undisturbed for about 5 mins, until the haddock is just cooked. Lift the haddock from the milk, remove the skin and bones and fl ake onto a plate. Reserve the milk for later.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a large saucepan (preferably non-stick) and gently fry the bacon until starting to brown. Add the celery, leeks, bay leaves and potatoes, and cook for a couple of mins. Pour in the stock and reserved milk. Bring to the simmer and cook for 10 mins.
- STEP 3
Add the flaked haddock, sweetcorn and cream. Season with pepper (it shouldn’t need salt) and stir in the parsley. Heat through gently, then serve.