Sesame & spring onion stir-fried udon with crispy tofu
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 400g block firm tofu
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ -1 tsp chilli flakes, to taste
- ¼-½ tsp Szechuan peppercorns, ground, to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- bunch of spring onions, trimmed and cut into lengths
- 200g green beans, trimmed and cut into lengths
- 400g ready-to-use thick udon noodles
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, plus a pinch to serve
- 1 tbsp low-salt soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- STEP 1
Drain and pat the tofu dry with kitchen paper. Cut into cubes, wrap in more kitchen paper, and place a heavy board over the top. Leave to drain for 15 mins.
- STEP 2
Mix the cornflour, chilli flakes and ground peppercorns together in a bowl with a pinch of salt, then add the drained tofu. Toss well to coat.
- STEP 3
Heat half the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat, and fry the tofu pieces for 5-6 mins until golden all over. Scoop out of the pan, and leave to drain on kitchen paper.
- STEP 4
Add the remaining oil to the pan and stir-fry the spring onions and beans for 3-4 mins until tender and lightly golden. Pour a kettle of boiling water over the noodles in a sieve to loosen. Drain well, then tip into the pan. Fry for a few minutes until piping hot. Add the sesame oil and sesame seeds, and sizzle for a few seconds. Splash in the soy sauce, rice vinegar, then add the tofu. Toss well, then serve in bowls with a pinch of sesame seeds on top and more soy sauce on the side.