Sausage & bean one-pot
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Warm yourself up on a chilly night with this comforting one-pot, and avoid the washing-up too
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 good-quality pork sausages (Toulouse are great for this dish)
- 2 leeks , trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot , roughly chopped
- 2 slices day-old white or brown bread , whizzed into breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped sage , plus a little extra
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 200ml beef stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans , rinsed and drained
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan, add the sausages and brown for few mins. Remove from the pan. Add the leeks and carrot and gently soften for 10 mins.
- STEP 2
Mix the breadcrumbs with a little sage. Heat grill to medium. Add 1 tbsp sage and the garlic to the pan. Cook for 1 min, then add the stock and tomatoes. Tuck in the sausages. Simmer for 10 mins until the sauce has reduced a little and the sausages are cooked. Season, stir in the beans, then simmer for 2 mins more. To serve, scatter the sage crumbs over the top and grill for 5 mins until golden.
FRENCH ONION SAUSAGE POT FOR TWO
Brown 4 sausages, then remove. Thinly slice 2 onions; cook very gently in 1 tbsp oil for 10 mins until soft. Turn up the heat, add 1 tsp sugar and cook until sticky and brown. Stir in 1 tbsp flour, then add 400ml beef stock to make a smooth gravy. Return sausages to pan and simmer until cooked. Top with rounds of baguette scattered with grated cheese. Grill until golden and melting.