Salmon & cucumber sushi rolls
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus draining and cooling
- More effort
- Makes 12
- 2 nori sheets
- 100g skinless salmon fillet (use really fresh), thinly sliced lengthways
- ¼ cucumber , deseeded, thinly sliced lengthways
- squeeze wasabi , plus extra to serve
- pickled sushi ginger , to serve
- light soy sauce , to serve
- salmon roe , to serve (optional)
For the rice
- 100g sushi rice
- 2 tsp saké or mirin (optional)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar (omit if using mirin)
- 25ml rice vinegar
- STEP 1
First, make the rice. Rinse the sushi rice in a colander, massaging it with your hands until the water runs clear. Leave to drain for 15 mins.
- STEP 2
Put the rice in a saucepan with 200ml water and the sake or mirin, if using. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 mins until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Set aside, covered, for 15-20 mins.
- STEP 3
Transfer to a large bowl. Dissolve the sugar, if using, in the vinegar with a good pinch of salt, pour over the rice and mix. Cover with a damp tea towel and set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
- STEP 4
Put 1 nori sheet on a bamboo mat and cover the surface with half of the cooled rice. Lay half of the salmon and cucumber slices along the length of the rice in a strip, being careful not to overfill it. Run a pea-sized blob of wasabi (more if you like it really hot) along the edge of the filling with your finger.
- STEP 5
Roll up tightly and squeeze to seal when you reach the end. Repeat with the remaining nori, salmon and cucumber, and more wasabi. Slice each roll into 6 pieces, and serve with extra wasabi, ginger, soy sauce and salmon roe, if you like. Will keep in the fridge for 1 day.