- 1 large aubergine, thickly sliced
Although it's technically a fruit (a berry, to be exact), the aubergine is used as a…
- 4 tsp rapeseed oil
If you want a light alternative to other cooking oils, rapeseed is a great choice and has…
- 225g prepared weight sweet potatoes, cut into narrow chips
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus a few for sprinkling
- 2 small onions (190g), halved and sliced
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 85g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 200g bag baby spinach, wilted in a pan or the microwave
- 25g pumpkin seeds
Heat oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 7. Brush the aubergine slices with 1 tsp oil, put on a baking sheet and roast for 15 mins. Meanwhile place a wire cooling rack on top of a baking tray. Toss the sweet potatoes and thyme with 2 tsp oil, then scatter them over the rack and set aside until ready to cook.
Heat 1 tsp oil in a non-stick pan, add the onions, cover the pan and leave to cook for 5 mins. Take off the lid and stir – they should be a little charred now. Stir in the green pepper and garlic, cover the pan and cook for 5 mins more. Put the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake for 15 mins while you get on with the rest of the sauce.
Stir the paprika into the onions and peppers, pour in 150ml water, then stir in the cherry tomatoes, tomato purée and bouillon. Cover and simmer for 10 mins while you cook the spinach according to pack instructions. Stir in the seeds.
Arrange the aubergine, fries and spinach in bowls and spoon on the goulash sauce. Scatter with thyme, if you like.