- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 6
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 red onions , chopped into 2cm dice
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 red peppers , cut into 2cm dice
- 3 courgettes cut into 2cm dice
- 1 aubergine , cut into 2cm dice
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 3 potatoes , thinly sliced
- ¼ nutmeg , grated
- 150ml double cream
- small bunch basil , chopped
- 85g gruyère (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- salad , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a shallow flameproof casserole dish or pan. Add the onions and cook for 2 mins, then tip in the garlic, peppers, courgettes and aubergine. Cook over a medium heat for 10 mins (adding a splash of water if the dish looks dry), until the vegetables are soft.
- STEP 2
Stir in the tomatoes and 4 tbsp water. Season well. Cover and leave to bubble gently for 15 mins. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, tip the potato slices into a bowl. Season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg, then pour over the cream. Toss everything to coat. Remove the casserole dish from the heat and stir in the basil. Lay the potato slices on top of the ratatouille, creating a spiral pattern, then pour over any remaining cream. Place in the oven, uncovered, for 40 mins.
- STEP 4
Remove from the oven and increase heat to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Scatter over the cheese and bake for a further 20 mins until golden and bubbling. Serve with salad, if you like.