Easy egg fried rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Serves 4
- a mugful of American long grain rice
- a cupful of frozen peas
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 back bacon rashers, roughly chopped
- 1 small red pepper , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 heaped tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- STEP 1
Fill a roomy saucepan with water, bring to the boil and tip in a heaped teaspoon of salt - the water will bubble furiously. Pour in the rice, stir once and return to the boil, then turn the heat down a little so that the water is boiling steadily, but not vigorously.
- STEP 2
Boil uncovered, without stirring (this makes for sticky rice) for 10 minutes. After 8 minutes, throw in the frozen peas, boil for 2 minutes and drain (don’t rinse).
- STEP 3
Heat the sunflower oil in a wok and stir fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Tip in the red pepper and the garlic cloves and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- STEP 4
Beat the eggs, pour into the pan and stir fry until the egg just sets. Toss in the Chinese 5-spice