Nuts & seeds granola
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10 (makes about 550g)
- 150g rolled oats
- 150g mixed nuts (we used whole hazelnuts, flaked almonds and whole pecans)
- 50g mixed seeds (we used a mixed bag containing sunflower, pumpkin, hemp and golden linseed)
- 50g raisins
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp almond extract (vanilla works well too, if you prefer)
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 100ml maple syrup
- milk or yogurt, and fruit (optional), to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan gas 4. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment to prevent the granola from sticking. Put all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the almond extract, vegetable oil and maple syrup in a jug, then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- STEP 2
Mix together well, making sure that all the dry ingredients are well coated and that there are no dry bits. Tip the mixture onto the lined baking sheet and spread out in an even layer. Cook for about 25-30 mins until golden. You will need to give the mixture a few turns every 8-10 mins to make sure it dries out evenly and doesn’t clump together too much. Keep an eye on it as nuts can burn easily.
- STEP 3
Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on the tray. Break up any large clumps of granola with a wooden spoon. Will keep for up to one month in an airtight container. Serve with milk or yogurt, and fresh seasonal fruit, if you like.