Minced chicken & prawn lettuce parcels
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus cooling
- More effort
- Serves 6 (makes 8-10 parcels)
- 50g glass noodles
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 bird's-eye chilli , finely chopped (seeds removed if you like it less hot)
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped (tender parts only, see 'Tip')
- 10 green beans , finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot , finely chopped
- 140g minced chicken
- 140g raw prawns , peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Baby Gem lettuces or 1 iceberg
- 140g roasted peanuts , coarsely crushed
- lime wedges, to serve
- STEP 1
Soak the glass noodles in boiling water and leave for 5 mins, then drain and run under cold water. Using scissors, cut into little pieces. Heat the oil in a wok, add the garlic, chilli and lemongrass and fry until fragrant. Add the green beans and carrot, and stir-fry for 2 mins until the vegetables lose their rawness but maintain their crunch.
- STEP 2
Add the chicken mince and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon while mixing with the vegetables. Once the chicken turns opaque and starts to cook through, add the prawns. Season with oyster and fish sauce, and pepper, and cook for 1-2 mins.
- STEP 3
Add the noodles, mix well, cook for 1 min more making sure that the chicken and prawns are cooked. Add the rice wine vinegar, mix well and turn off the heat. Set aside and cool for 10 mins.
- STEP 4
Peel the leaves off the lettuce carefully. If using iceberg lettuce, use scissors and, following the curve of the leaf, cut away the green floppy edge. You will be left with a firmer section, which acts like a cup. Spoon the chicken mixture onto the lettuce and sprinkle liberally with peanuts. Squeeze a little lime juice all over before serving.