Mexican roast chicken & tomato soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 6
Enjoy the chunkiness of chipotle chicken and black beans combined with the smooth sweet soup, plus a kick of chilli
- 1 ½kg ripe tomato , halved vertically
- 2 onions , cut into wedges
- 1 medium chicken , jointed into pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for shallow frying
- 3 garlic cloves , roughly chopped
- 3 red chillies , deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seed , crushed
- 400g can pinto or black bean , drained and rinsed
- zest and juice 1 lime
- 4 tbsp chipotle paste
- 3 corn tortillas , cut into triangles
- large handful coriander , chopped
- 2 avocados , stoned, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200ml soured cream (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the tomatoes, cut-side up, in a large roasting tin with the onions and top with the chicken pieces. Season generously and drizzle over 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Roast for 45 mins until the chicken is crisp and tender, and the tomatoes start to caramelise.
- STEP 2
When the chicken is ready, remove from the oven to a plate and cover with foil. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the tomato and onions to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Reserve the cooking juices from the roasting tin.
- STEP 3
Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan and fry the garlic, chillies and coriander seeds for a few mins until just brown. Pull the meat from the chicken bones, tear into chunks and mix with the beans, lime zest and chipotle paste. Add this chicken mix to the pan but reserve one-third of it. Pour the soup into the pan and add enough of the cooking juices until you get a nice consistency. Heat a few inches of oil in a small saucepan, then carefully shallow-fry the tortilla pieces in batches until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- STEP 4
To serve, gently reheat the soup, season to taste and stir through the coriander. Top with the reserved chicken mix, avocados and lime juice. Serve with the tortilla chips and soured cream, if you like.