- ½ medium ripe avocado, stoned and cut into pieces
Although it's technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. Native…
- 2 medium tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped coriander
- ½ lime, juiced
The same shape, but smaller than…
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- olive oil, for frying
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 2 thick slices sourdough or crusty bread
Sourdough is a method of leavening bread, based on uncooked bread dough (known as 'mother…
- 15g strong cheddar, grated
Once cheddar was 'Cheddar', a large, hard-pressed barrel of cheese made by a particular…
- ½ small red chilli, finely chopped
Gently combine the avocado, tomato, coriander and lime juice in a small bowl. Season generously and set aside.
Whisk the eggs together with a little seasoning. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture, coating well, then put the slices in the pan and cook for about 2 mins on each side or until golden brown. Put the eggy bread on a baking sheet, sprinkle with cheese and put under a hot grill for 1 min to melt. Top with the avocado salsa and red chilli to serve.