- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 5 soft corn tortillas
- 1 ½ tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 jalapeno chilli , deseeded, cut into thin strips
- 100g mozzarella , grated
- 2 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- ½ small pack coriander leaves, chopped
For the guacamole
- 2 medium, ripe avocados , halved, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 spring onions , ends trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- few drops Tabasco sauce
For the beans
- 400g can red kidney bean , drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- ¼ tsp mild or medium chilli powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
For the tomato salsa
- 4 tomatoes , seeds removed, finely chopped
- ¼ small red onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. For each tortilla, brush both sides with some of the oil, and cut into 12 wedges. Repeat. Put all the wedges on 2 large baking sheets and bake for about 10 mins or until golden and crisp. Remove and set aside. Turn up the oven to 200C/180C/gas 6.
- STEP 2
For the guacamole, put the chopped avocados in a bowl and roughly mash with a fork, keeping some texture. Stir in the lime juice, spring onions, coriander and season with the Tabasco and seasoning. Set aside.
- STEP 3
For the beans, tip them into a bowl, stir in the garlic, chilli and cumin powders, roughly mash with a fork, then mix in about 2 tbsp of water, or enough to make a rough mash. Season and set aside.
- STEP 4
For the salsa, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime juice and oil. Season and set aside.
- STEP 5
Ten minutes before you’re ready to serve, scatter the tortilla chips over a large baking tray or ovenproof platter. Spoon the beans in little mounds over the chips, then spoon over the salsa (if the salsa has been made ahead, use a slotted spoon so you leave any tomato liquid behind that could soften the chips). Scatter over the jalapeño chilli and mozzarella.
- STEP 6
Bake for 4-5 mins, just long enough to melt the cheese and warm things through, but not over-brown the tortilla chips. Remove and spoon over the crème fraîche and scatter with coriander, and put the guacamole in 1 or 2 small dishes on the side. Serve immediately.