Goan-style vegetable curry with kitchari
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
For the kitchari
For the curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions (330g), 1 finely chopped, 1 sliced
- 2 red chillies , deseeded and sliced
- 25g ginger , finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder (check it’s vegan if you need it to be), made up with 500ml boiling water
- 360g cauliflower florets (about 1/4 cauliflower)
- 1 ½ tsp tamarind
- 320g fine beans , trimmed and halved if large
- 4 large tomatoes , cut into wedges
- 2 large courgettes (320g), halved lengthways and thickly sliced
- 100g coconut yogurt
- ½ x 30g pack fresh coriander , chopped, to serve
- STEP 1
Boil the rice in a pan of water for 25 mins until tender, then drain.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the curry. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions, chillies and ginger for 8-10 mins until softened. Add the spices and garlic, stir briefly, then pour in the bouillon and stir in the cauliflower. Cover and simmer for 5 mins.
- STEP 3
Stir in the tamarind with the beans, tomatoes and courgettes, then cover the pan and cook for 10-15 mins more until the veg are tender, but still retain a little bite. Remove the lid for the last 5 mins to reduce the sauce a little. Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt and half the fresh coriander.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, for the kitchari, heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the ground coriander. Warm briefly, then tip in the rice and drained lentils. Warm through for 1 min, then stir through the remaining fresh coriander.
- STEP 5
If you're following our Healthy Diet Plan, serve half the curry and rice now, then chill the rest to eat another night (cool the rice quickly on a wide tray, then chill immediately). Reheat the rice and curry in the microwave or on the hob. You may need to add a drop of water to the rice to stop it sticking.