Goan-style vegetable curry with kitchari
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Eat all 5 of your 5-a-day in one delicious curry, served with brown rice and lentils. It's healthy, vegan, gluten-free and provides vitamin C and iron, too.
For the kitchari
For the curry
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 large onions (330g), 1 finely chopped, 1 sliced
- 2 red chillies , deseeded and sliced
- 25g ginger , finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder (check it’s vegan if you need it to be), made up with 500ml boiling water
- 360g cauliflower florets (about 1/4 cauliflower)
- 1 ½ tsp tamarind
- 320g fine beans , trimmed and halved if large
- 4 large tomatoes , cut into wedges
- 2 large courgettes (320g), halved lengthways and thickly sliced
- 100g coconut yogurt
- ½ x 30g pack fresh coriander , chopped, to serve
- STEP 1
Boil the rice in a pan of water for 25 mins until tender, then drain.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the curry. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions, chillies and ginger for 8-10 mins until softened. Add the spices and garlic, stir briefly, then pour in the bouillon and stir in the cauliflower. Cover and simmer for 5 mins.
- STEP 3
Stir in the tamarind with the beans, tomatoes and courgettes, then cover the pan and cook for 10-15 mins more until the veg are tender, but still retain a little bite. Remove the lid for the last 5 mins to reduce the sauce a little. Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt and half the fresh coriander.
- STEP 4
Meanwhile, for the kitchari, heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the ground coriander. Warm briefly, then tip in the rice and drained lentils. Warm through for 1 min, then stir through the remaining fresh coriander.
- STEP 5
If you're following our Healthy Diet Plan, serve half the curry and rice now, then chill the rest to eat another night (cool the rice quickly on a wide tray, then chill immediately). Reheat the rice and curry in the microwave or on the hob. You may need to add a drop of water to the rice to stop it sticking.
SIGN UP TO OUR HEALTHY DIET PLAN
This recipe is part of our free Healthy Diet Plan. Sign up today and we’ll send you seven days of triple-tested, nutritionally-optimised recipes, plus expert tips to help you look and feel your very best!