Filo-topped fish pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 100g butter
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml white wine
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 150ml double cream
- 300g sea bass fillets, skinned and cut into large pieces
- 250g halibut , skinned and cut into large pieces
- 200g large raw prawn
- small pack flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 6 sheets filo pastry measuring 30 x 25cm
- STEP 1
Heat 25g of the butter in a large saucepan until foaming. Add the onion and fennel, and cook gently for about 10 mins until very tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Add the tomato purée, cook for 1 min, then add the white wine and simmer for a few mins until reduced by half.
- STEP 2
Tip in the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 15 mins until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- STEP 3
Remove the sauce from the heat. Stir in the cream, fish, prawns and herbs, then season. Spoon the mixture into a 2-litre baking dish.
- STEP 4
When ready to cook, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and melt the rest of the butter. Unroll the filo pastry and brush 6 sheets all over one side with the melted butter. Gently scrunch up the pastry and lay on the top of the pie filling, covering completely. Bake for 25 mins in the middle of the oven until the pastry is golden and crisp.