Feelgood fish cakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 600g potatoes , cut into chunks
- 2 x 120g cans sardines in spring water, drained
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- zest and juice 1 small lemon
- 3 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp fat-free Greek yogurt (we used Total 0%)
- 1 tbsp seasoned plain flour
- 4 tsp sunflower oil
- green salad and lemon wedges, to serve
- STEP 1
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 15-20 mins. Meanwhile, coarsely mash the sardines in a bowl (there’s no need to remove the calcium-rich bones as they are soft enough to eat). Mix in 3 tbsp chopped parsley and half the lemon zest and juice. Meanwhile, mix the mayonnaise and yogurt with the remaining parsley, lemon zest and juice and some seasoning.
- STEP 2
Drain the potatoes, then mash until smooth. Gently mix into the sardine mixture and season. Shape into 8 fat fish cakes using floured hands, then dust lightly with the seasoned flour.
- STEP 3
Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry half the fish cakes for 3-4 mins on each side until golden and crisp. Keep warm; repeat with remaining oil and fish cakes. Serve with the lemony mayonnaise, salad and lemon wedges.