Duck & watermelon noodle salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2 duck legs
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp five-spice
- 100g flat rice noodles (or 2 nests)
- ¼ small watermelon (about 250g), cut into bite-sized pieces
- small bunch of mint, leaves picked
- small bunch of coriander, leaves picked
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp honey, plus a drizzle for roasting
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp black rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the duck legs on a baking tray and rub with the oil, five-spice and ½ tsp salt, and roast for 1 hr. Meanwhile, mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl and season.
- STEP 2
Remove the tray from the oven and pour any fat into a mug (save this to make fantastic roast potatoes). Spoon 1 tbsp of the dressing over each duck leg, then drizzle with a little extra honey (about 1 tsp per leg). Return to the oven for another 15 mins, brushing any sticky sauce that drips off the duck back onto the skin after 8-10 mins. Remove from the oven and leave to rest while you prepare the noodles.
- STEP 3
Boil the kettle and put the noodles in a large bowl. Pour over enough hot water to cover, then leave to stand for 3-5 mins until soft. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Shred the duck meat and skin with two forks – it should easily pull away from the bone. Toss the noodles in any sticky, fatty juices left on the tray used for the duck.
- STEP 4
Arrange the noodles on a platter. Top with the watermelon, duck, herbs and chilli, pour over the remaining dressing and toss together just before serving.