Crispy cod fingers with wedges & dill slaw
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 large sweet potatoes (700g), scrubbed and cut into wedges
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil , plus a little extra
- ¼ large red cabbage
- ½ medium red onion , finely sliced
- 6 large cornichons , quartered
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- 25g dill , finely chopped
- 4 skinned cod fillets (160g per fillet)
- 2 large eggs
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. In a bowl, toss the wedges with the oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 mins, turning halfway through. The wedges should be crisp and golden brown.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the slaw. Remove the cabbage’s white core and discard. Slice the leaves as finely as possible and put in a large mixing bowl with the onion and cornichons. In another bowl, combine the yogurt or mayonnaise with the dill and 2 tbsp of the cornichons’ pickling liquid. Mix the dressing with the other slaw ingredients until everything is well coated, then set aside.
- STEP 3
Heat grill to high. Slice each cod fillet into two or three fingers. Beat the eggs lightly in a shallow bowl and tip the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Dip each cod finger in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs, and place on an oiled baking sheet. Grill for 6-7 mins or until cooked through and golden. Serve with the crispy wedges and a generous helping of the dill pickle slaw.