Creamy rice with double apricots
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 2 hours
- Serves 4
- 50g pudding rice
- 500ml carton long-life vanilla-flavoured sweetened soya milk alternative (we used UHT Provamel organic vanilla)
- 50g ready-to-eat dried apricots , chopped into small pieces
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 250ml carton soya single cream alternative (we used UHT Provamel Soya Dream)
- 8 tbsp apricot compote or 4 tbsp apricot conserve
- 1 tbsp shelled pistachio nuts, chopped
- STEP 1
Put the rice and soya milk into a medium-sized saucepan, stir and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat immediately or the soya will bubble up and can easily boil over. Half cover the pan with a lid then cook gently for 40-45 minutes over a very low heat, stirring occasionally until the rice has swollen and is very tender. The mixture should be thick and creamy.
- STEP 2
While the rice is cooking, mix together the apricots, sugar and single cream alternative.
- STEP 3
Remove the rice from the heat, leave to cool for 15 minutes, then stir in the apricot mixture. Spoon into 4 small tumblers or glass dishes. Cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes (or longer if you have the time).
- STEP 4
To serve, spoon two tbsp of apricot compote or 1 tbsp of conserve on top of each dessert and scatter the pistachios on top.