Classic Swedish meatballs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 400g lean pork mince
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
- 85g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill, plus extra to serve
- 1tbsp each olive oil and butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 400ml hot beef stock (from a cube is fine)
- STEP 1
In a bowl, mix the mince with the egg, onion, breadcrumbs, dill and seasoning. Form into small meatballs about the size of walnuts – you should get about 20.
- STEP 2
Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the meatballs. You may have to do this in 2 batches. Remove from pan, melt the butter, then sprinkle over the flour and stir well. Cook for 2 mins, then slowly whisk in the stock. Keep whisking until it is a thick gravy, then return the meatballs to the pan and heat through. Sprinkle with dill and serve with cranberry jelly, greens and mash.