Chunky fish chowder
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 adults and 2-3 children
You can use any firm white fish you have available in this healthy chowder, which is packed full of omega-3 fatty acids
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 leeks , finely sliced
- 550g potato , cut into small cubes
- 1l fish stock
- 1 lemon , zest only
- 300ml whole milk
- 330g can sweetcorn , rinsed and drained
- 250g skinless, boneless salmon , cut into chunks
- 250g skinless, boneless white fish , cut into chunks
- handful chives , snipped with scissors
- 2 tbsp double cream (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, tip in the leeks and fry gently for 5 mins until softened, but not coloured. Add the potatoes and cook for a further min. Pour in stock and lemon zest, cover and simmer for 12-15 mins or until the potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove half the potatoes and leeks from the stock and set aside.
- STEP 2
Transfer the remaining potatoes, leeks, stock and milk into a blender or food processor and whizz until smooth. Pour back into the pan, add the sweetcorn, fish and reserved vegetables. Cover and gently heat for 3-4 mins until the fish is just cooked through – don’t boil. Stir in chives and cream, if using, then season to taste.
Can be cooled and frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost thoroughly in the fridge, then heat through very gently on the hob or in the microwave to avoid overcooking the fish.