- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, plus 60ml (if frying rather than baking)
- 5 skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets, or about 300g leftover cooked chicken
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, roughly chopped
- 100g green chillies from a jar, finely chopped
- 85g Monterey Jack cheese, grated plus extra for serving
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 400g can refried beans (optional)
- 240ml red enchilada sauce
- soured cream and a handful of chopped coriander, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat, add the chicken thigh fillets and fry for 6-8 mins each side until cooked through, then remove from the pan and set aside. Add another tbsp oil to the pan, then the onion and red pepper and cook until softened, about 5 mins.
- STEP 2
Shred or cut chicken into small pieces and put in a bowl with the cooked onions and peppers, chillies, cheese and spices, season and mix well.
- STEP 3
Heat the tortillas briefly in a dry frying pan for a few seconds on each side to make them a little more pliable, or heat in a microwave. Spoon a layer of the beans, if using, into the centre of each tortilla, then spoon some of the chicken mixture on top. Repeat so all the wraps and filling are used up.
- STEP 4
Roll-up the chimichangas – fold the bottom over the filling, fold the sides in, then roll away from you so all the filling is sealed in.
- STEP 5
To bake, heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the chimichangas on an oiled baking sheet and brush lightly with more oil. Bake until golden, about 20-25 mins. Or to fry them, heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the 60ml oil to the pan and place the chimichangas seam-side down. Turn gently every few seconds until lightly golden on all sides and the filling has heated through.
- STEP 6
While they cook, warm the enchilada sauce in a small pan, then spoon some enchilada sauce on a plate, lay the chimichanga on top, and top with soured cream, a little more cheese and some coriander.
Kcal 425; fat 24g; saturates 6g; carbs 27g; sugars 5g; fibre 3g; protein 23g; salt 1.85g