Chicken with pomegranate & Brazil nuts
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus overnight marinating
- Serves 6
For the chicken
- 150g pack Brazil nuts , half left whole, half chopped
- thumb-sized piece ginger , peeled
- 1 garlic clove
- juice 1 lime
- 250g pot of coconut milk yogurt (we used Coyo Natural)
- 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 6 free-range chicken legs or quarters
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 large aubergines , sliced lengthways
- 1 pomegranate , seeds only
- STEP 1
Put the whole Brazil nuts in a food processor with the ginger, garlic and lime juice. Blend to a paste, then add the coconut yogurt and molasses. Blitz briefly to combine, then tip into a large bowl along with the chicken. Mix well to coat in the marinade, cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
- STEP 2
The following day, heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Spread the chicken out in a deep roasting tin, skin-side up, and cook in the oven for 45 mins-1 hr or until golden brown and the juices run clear.
- STEP 3
While the chicken cooks, brush the aubergine slices with the oil and cook on a hot griddle pan for 3-4 mins each side or until tender and patterned with char marks. Lay the aubergines on a serving platter, add the cooked chicken and scatter over the chopped Brazil nuts and the pomegranate seeds.