Chicken & bean enchiladas
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A family dinner that delivers four of your 5-a-day - tender chicken, red pepper and black beans, wrapped in tortilla, baked in the oven with passata and cheese
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 red onion , sliced
- 2 red peppers , deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tsp chipotle paste (add extra if you prefer more heat)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 400g can black beans or kidney beans
- small bunch coriander , chopped
- 500ml passata
- 1 tsp ketchup or sugar
- 6 medium tortillas
- 50g mature cheddar , grated
- green salad , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onions, peppers and half the garlic. Cook for 15 mins, stirring now and then until the veg has softened. Stir in the chipotle paste, then fry for 1 min more. Add the chicken strips, turning them over in the mixture so they cook through, about 5-10 mins.
- STEP 2
Stir in the beans, coriander and 150ml of the passata, then take the pan off the heat. Mix the rest of the passata with the remaining crushed garlic and the ketchup.
- STEP 3
Divide the mixture between the tortillas, then fold the sides in and roll them up. Pour half the passata sauce into a 22cm square baking dish, then place the enchiladas on top, side by side. Dot over the remaining sauce and sprinkle over the grated cheese, then bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown.