Chestnut & butternut risotto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This comforting Italian rice supper is a great way to use up leftover chestnuts
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 500g butternut squash , diced
- 1 tbsp chopped sage
- 350g carnaroli or other risotto rice
- 1l hot vegetable stock
- 100g cooked chestnut , chopped
- large knob butter
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative, plus extra to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 5 mins. Add the squash, sage and rice, and cook for a further 2 mins.
- STEP 2
Pour in the stock and cook, stirring regularly, for 15 mins. Add the chestnuts and cook for a further 5 mins or until the rice is tender and the stock has been absorbed.
- STEP 3
Stir in the butter, parsley and Parmesan. Divide risotto between bowls, scatter with extra Parmesan, season and serve.