Cheesy aubergine & tomato spaghetti
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 3 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 aubergine (about 275g), thickly sliced into 10
- 15g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese , finely grated
- 15g hazelnuts , chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh sage , plus 10 small leaves
- 4 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 1 large carrot (215g), chopped
- 3 celery sticks (165g), chopped
- 6 Kalamata olives , pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 ½ tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 150g wholemeal spaghetti
- 100g cherry tomatoes , halved
- handful of parsley (10g), chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and drizzle 1 tsp oil over a non-stick baking tray. Press the aubergine into the oil, turn and bake for 10 mins. Mix the cheese with the hazelnuts. Turn the aubergine, top with the sage leaves and cheese mix and bake for 10-12 mins until tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the garlic, carrot, celery and chopped sage for 5 mins, stirring, until just soft. Add the olives, tomato purée, bouillon powder and 200ml water, cover and cook for 5 mins more.
- STEP 3
Cook the spaghetti following pack instructions, then drain, reserving some of the cooking water. Toss with the cooked veg, tomatoes and most of the parsley, loosening with some of the reserved water if needed. Top with the aubergine and remaining parsley.