Cannellini bean & fennel ragu
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Get four of your five-a-day in this comforting cannellini bean and fennel ragu with pancetta, tomatoes and a herby gremolata topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb , trimmed and sliced
- 1 large garlic clove , grated
- 50g pancetta , chopped
- 400g can cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
- 150g cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 300ml low-salt vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- grated parmesan and crusty bread, to serve (optional)
For the gremolata
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion, celery and fennel for 5 mins. Add the garlic and pancetta, and fry for 5 mins more.
- STEP 2
Stir in the beans, then add the tomatoes, tomato purée, stock and vinegar. Stir, bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 mins. Season to taste.
- STEP 3
For the gremolata, mix everything together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- STEP 4
Spoon the ragu into bowls and top with the gremolata. Scatter over some parmesan, if using, and serve with crusty bread, if you like.