Boiled bacon with cabbage & carrots
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
- 1.3kg piece smoked bacon
- 1 onion , peeled and studded with 6 cloves
- large bunch herbs tied together, including bay, thyme and parsley stalks
- 1 bunch new-season carrots (about 12 in total), scrubbed and trimmed
- 2 pointed cabbages , trimmed and each cut into 6 wedges
For the mustard sauce
- 150ml stock , from the bacon
- 142ml pot double cream
- 3 tbsp English mustard
- handful fresh curly parsley leave, chopped
- STEP 1
Place the bacon in a stockpot with the onion and herbs, then cover with water. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 45 mins, topping up with water if needed. Add the carrots, then continue to cook for 15 mins. Ladle 150ml stock into a smaller saucepan; set aside. Add the cabbage wedges to the stockpot, then continue to cook everything for another 10-15 mins until the cabbage is tender, but not overcooked.
- STEP 2
While everything is having its final cooking, make the sauce. Pour the cream into the 150ml stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few mins, then whisk in the mustard and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- STEP 3
Remove the meat from the stock, then carve into thick slices. Serve on a platter with the cabbage and carrots, and moisten with a trickle of stock. Serve the sauce in a jug and some boiled and buttered new potatoes on the side.