- 4 tbsp thick Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 4 slices German three-grain bread (rye, oats and barley)
- 4 cooked beetroot, about 230g, very thinly sliced
A favourite in 1970s British salads (cooked and pickled in vinegar), beetroot is a root…
For the pastrami open-facers
- 4 slices of pastrami, about 50g
- 2 cocktail gherkins, very thinly sliced
For the smoked mackerel open-facers
Mix the yogurt and mustard together, then spread over the bread and top with the beetroot slices, overlapping them to make an even base.
For the pastrami tartines, cover the beetroot completely with the pastrami slices, then cut each into six fingers and top each one with a sliver of gherkin.
For the mackerel tartines, cut each piece of bread into eight squares. Top with the mackerel and red onion, then snip over some of the dill. Keep them chilled until ready to serve. Will keep in the fridge for up to one day.
Nutrition per mackerel open-facer (16)43 kcals • fat 2g • saturates 1g • carbs 5g • sugars 1g • fibre none • protein 3g • salt 0.1g