Asian chicken noodle soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 60ml sake (if you don't have sake, use vodka)
- thumb-sized piece ginger , peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 3 spring onions , finely sliced on the diagonal, and white and green parts separated
- 150ml soy sauce
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves , grated
- 600g thick white noodles (such as udon)
- 2 large long red Serrano chillies , seeds left in and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large egg , beaten
- small pack coriander
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- seaweed flakes, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Slice the chicken breasts into strips about 1cm wide and the full length of the breast. Briefly marinate the chicken in the sake and leave to one side for a few mins.
- STEP 2
Mix the ginger with the whites of the spring onions, soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic.
- STEP 3
Put 2 litres of water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour in the ginger soy mixture, reduce the heat and cook just below a simmer for 5 mins.
- STEP 4
Add the chicken and sake mix, noodles and chillies to the stock and turn the heat up. As soon as the broth comes to the boil, turn off the heat. Slowly pour the egg into the broth, stirring all the time. Add the green parts of the spring onions and stir through. Leave to sit for 2 mins.
- STEP 5
Ladle the soup evenly into six bowls. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and coriander, with a few seaweed flakes, if you like.