Mince and pasta casserole
Member recipe by mydnightshadow
Great quick, easy, re-heatable and freezable family favourite. Add or remove ingredients according to likes/ dislikes - great for children!
- 200 g (7 oz) (dry weight) pasta shapes (any shape, any pasta type - tricolour, brown or ordinary)
- 500 g (1 lb) beef mince
- 1 normal size tin of baked beans
- Seasoning quantities to personal taste with:
- Mixed herbs
- Tomato puree
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Optional extras none or all to add according to personal taste:
- Small tin of chopped tomatoes
- Red wine - to taste
- 1/2 cup of seedless raisins
- 1 Finely chopped onion (or 2 shallots)
- 2 medium flat mushrooms chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions, drain and rinse with cold water. Leave draining for now.
- Brown the mince and drain of any excess fat once brown. (3-5 mins microwave on high)
- If adding onion and/ or mushrooms fry them in a little olive oil on the hob until the onions are browning and the mushrooms starting to shrink.
- Break up the mince until it is in very small pieces with no lumps. Season to taste with the listed seasonings and then add the rest of the ingredients (including fried onions and mushrooms if adding) except the pasta (and raisins if adding).
- Cook the mince (12 mins in microwave on high) stirring occasionally (about every 4 mins if microwaving).
- If using stir in the raisins.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta and mix well. This is a good place to stop if pre-preparing or freezing. When wanting to serve heat (unfrozen) gently until hot all the way through (approx 5 mins microwave on medium).
- Serve with grated Parmesan, peas or salad and if feeling indulgent garlic bread.