Member recipe by thebrowngirls
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Bars
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 175g butter
- 1 generous tablespoon golden syrup
- 275g porridge oats
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- Finely chopped dried apricots (optional)
- Handful dessicated coconut (optional)
- Grease a 20cm/8 in square baking tin measuring about 4cm/1 and a half in deep with a bit of extra butter.
- Put the sugar, butter and syrup to melt in a large saucepan over a gentle heat. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Tip oats into the pan. Add the ginger (if using). Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin. Use your hands or a spatula to level it off. Leave to stand for 15 mins. Preheat the oven to 150 C/ 300 F/ gas mark 2 while mixture is standing.
- Bake for at least 40 minutes, till golden and still a little soft in the middle. The mix will firm up as it cools.
- Leave to cool in the tin. When the mixture has cooled slightly, cut it into squares. Take them out when cold and firm.