Izzy's squashed aubergine
Member recipe by izzyfg
A great side to have with summer salads and a babecue, or enjoy inside home-made wholemeal/buckwheat pancakes
- FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- 1 large butternut squash, cut to medium cubes
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp/ 1 tsp dried oregano
- Black pepper
- PREPARING THE ROASTING TRAY
- 2 cloves garlic,finely sliced (could try smoked garlic also)
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 3-4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- Black Pepper
- Dred oregano
- 1 or Half a Lagre Aubergine
- Sultanas, 3- 4 tbsp
- I haven't added salt, but if you want to,add where you think it's missing.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil,meanwhile, roughly chop squash into medium sized cubes.
- Transfer squash to pan, along with the; nutmeg, cinamon, oregano and black pepper. Boil until very soft
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 6
- While the squash is boiling, in a decent sized roasting dish, heat 4-5 tbsp virgin olive oil, once 'runny' add; Roughly chopped red onion,garlic,spring onions, black pepper and oregano. Toss everything up with each other Transfer to oven and cook for 5 mins until onion is softened
- While the onions are softening, very thinly slice the aubergine,set to one side. Remove squash from heat and drain.
- Add aubergines to onions and cook for 8 mins.
- Then add all of well drained cubed sqush to tray, mix up together,season again with black pepper(salt if you wish) and continue to roast the whole mix together for a further 20 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool (5-10 mins) Add sultanas to mix, toss all together, transfer to serving dish. Serve. Try adding a little soy sauce when eating, or having some mango chutney or tzatziki alongside.