Banana and Walnut Cake
Member recipe by meab22
- For The Banana Cake -
- 3 medium bananas
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 150 g s softened butter
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs (at room temperature)
- 80 g walnuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For The Cake Topping -
- 125 g full fat soft cheese
- 75 g butter
- 200 g icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Squeeze of lemon juice to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease the loaf tin with margarine or butter, and line the tin with greaseproof baking paper.
- Peel the bananas and mash them with a fork and chop the walnuts roughly.
- Place the butter and brown sugar into a mixing bowl and blend together with a fork. Stir in the bananas and chopped walnuts. Mix in one egg and sift in half of the flour. Add the remaining flour, egg, oil and lemon juice then mix in a figure of eight.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, smooth it level and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Make the topping by adding the icing sugar, soft cheese, butter and vanilla into a bowl and mixing it all together with a fork. Spoon the icing onto the cake and spread it evenly with a knife.