Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
Member recipe by zetallgerman
This recipe is from my Egyptian friends. Frying the spices first isn't compulsory, but it does add authentic flavour.
- 1 litre water
- 230g dried red lentils
- 400g onions, finely chopped
- 450g potatoes, peeled & finely chopped
- 8 large garlic gloves
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- For the spice mixture:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly.
- Put all of the main ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat and let it simmer until everything is soft (approx. 20 min) Remove from heat.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the spices.
- Stir for a minute in the hot oil until it becomes fragrant.; then remove from the heat.
- Blend the soup until smooth and add the fried spices. Serve with some toasted flat breads.