Member recipe by natalielobel
Tapas is easy but so impressive - this is a perfect recipe to wow your friends at dinner parties. Match with a glass of Campo Viejo Rose 2008 - it's a lovely pairing.
- Half kilo cleaned squid
- Half litre milk
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the batter:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup iced lemonade
- Pinch baking powder
- Half tsp salt
- Quarter of a cup corn flour
- Three quarters of a cup plain flour
- Cut the squid into rings or strips and separate the tentacles. Place in a bowl with the milk and garlic for a couple of hours.
- Mix all the dry elements of the batter together in a bowl. When ready to cook, take a suitable pan and fill it 1/3 with oil. Heat but do not let the oil smoke. If you have a thermometer heat to 200 degrees C. If you do not have a thermometer place a small cube of white bread in the pan. If it browns in 5 to 10 seconds the oil is at the correct temperature.
- When ready, mix the icy lemonade with the egg and then into the dry batter ingredients. It should resemble melted ice cream.
- Dust each piece of the squid in flour, then into the batter, shaking off the excess. Carefully drop into the oil and cook for approx 2 minutes until golden. Cook as much as you can cope with at a time, but do not overfill the pan. When golden remove onto kitchen towel to drain.
- Serve with lemon, salt and pepper.