- 4 small thick slices dark grainy bread
- 1 ripe avocado, stoned and peeled
Although it's technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. Native…
- juice 1 lemon
Oval in shape, with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile fruits…
- 1 large cooked beetroot, diced
A favourite in 1970's British salads (served cooked and pickled in vinegar), beetroot is a…
- 140g hot-smoked salmon fillets, broken into chunks
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp hot horseradish sauce
- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
Toast the bread and put 2 slices on each plate. Mash the avocado with half the lemon juice and season well. Spread the avocado over each slice of toast, then lay the beetroot and salmon on top.
In a small bowl, mix the remaining lemon juice with the crème fraîche and horseradish. Season and mix well to combine. Drizzle over the open-faced sandwiches. Top each slice of toast with a few onion slices and some chopped dill, and serve.