- juice 2 limes
The same shape, but smaller than…
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp chipotle paste, or Tabasco, to taste
- 400g can black bean, drained and rinsed
- 400ml vegetable stock
- half-fat soured cream, to serve
- coriander leaves, to serve
- crisp tortilla chips, to serve
To make the lime-pickled onions, combine ½ the lime juice and ½ the onions in a small bowl, and season. Leave to pickle for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and remaining onions, and season. Cook for 8 mins or until the onions are translucent. Add the spices and chipotle purée, cook for 1 min, then add the beans, stock and remaining lime juice. Simmer for 15 mins, then purée in a blender.
Pour the soup into a clean pan to reheat. Serve with a little of the drained pickled onions, topped with a small drizzle of soured cream and some coriander, and the tortillas on the side.