Member recipe by vintageabbie
This amazing Greek dish makes for a lighter, interesting alternative to Shepherd's pie, a great weekend meal
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1lb minced lamb
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 2tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cinnammon
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 pt white sauce
- 1 egg, separated
- 2oz cheese, grated
- Mixture of grated cheese and breadcrumbs for topping
- Olive oil
- Brush the oil over the aubergine and grill on both sides until lightly brown. Press aubergine between sheets of kitchen roll to drain off the excess oil and set aside.
- Fry the onion and garlic until soft then add the lamb. Cook through then drain thoroughly. Return to the pan and add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cinnammon and cumin. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20mins.
- Layer the aubergine and meat mixture into a dish, ending with a layer of aubergine.
- Add the cheese to the white sauce with the egg yolk and mix in. Whisk the egg whites into peaks then fold slowly into the cheese sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the aubergine then top with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven gas mark 4 for 45mins.