Luxury Macaroni Cheese
Member recipe by lesleyminto
- 340g macaroni
- 80g diced pancetta
- 1 small handful of fresh thyme leaves
- 3 spring onions
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 handful of chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 200ml milk
- 285ml double cream
- 200g dolcelatte or gorgonzola cheese
- 115g parmesan cheese
- preheat oven to 400 degrees F (or 200 degrees C)
- cook the macaroni in a large pan of salted boiling water to just under what you would consider cooked (as it will be cooked further in the oven). Drain and return to the pan, and set aside.
- Fry the pancetta in medium frying pan until it starts to brown and crisp, then add the thyme leaves and spring onions, and cook for a further 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add the contents to the cooked macaroni.
- For the sauce, put the butter, flour, mustard powder and nutmeg in a small pan over a medium heat and cook until the butter has melted. Mix together the milk and the cream in a jug and add little at a time to the flour mix, stirring well in between to avoid lumps. When all of the milk/cream mix has been added, bring to the boil for 1-2 minutes. The sauce will thicken up. Remove from the heat and add 2/3 of both cheeses to the sauce and combine. don't worry about lumps of cheese as these will melt down over time. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add to the pasta mix. Stir everything together and spoon into a shallow casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheeses and top off with the breadcrumbs. Bake in the over for around 20 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and the topping goes crumbly and brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve while hot.