- 2 x 300g/10oz mackerel, filleted and skin on or 4 x 75g/3oz mackerel fillets, skin on
Mackerel is a firm-fleshed, torpedo-shaped sea fish. Whole mackerel weigh in around 10-12oz (…
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small orange, grated zest and juice
One of the best-known citrus fruits, oranges aren't necessarily orange - some varieties are…
- 1-2 tsp harissa paste (to taste, as brands vary)
- 50g pine nut, toasted
- small bunch coriander, very roughly chopped
Roll the mackerel fillets in the flour sifted with smoked paprika and seasoning. Shake off excess flour and set the fish aside in a single layer.
Put 1 tbsp of the olive oil, the orange zest and juice and the harissa paste into a small bowl, and whisk together. Heat a frying pan with remaining olive oil until very hot. Fry the fish fillets for 5 mins, first on the skin side, then on the flesh side.
When the fish is nearly cooked – it should look firm – pour over the orange and harissa glaze, bring to the boil and allow the liquid to bubble until sticky. Sprinkle over the pine nuts and coriander.