Best Stuffed Mushrooms
Member recipe by darth-tater
Found this recipe on www.thepioneerwoman.com and they are the best stuffed mushrooms I have ever tasted.
- 24 ounces, weight White Button Mushrooms
- 1/3 pound Hot Pork Sausage or Italian sausage
- 1/2 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 1/3 cup Dry White Wine
- 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese
- 1 whole Egg Yolk
- 3/4 cups Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- Wipe off or wash mushrooms in cold water. Pop out stems, reserving both parts. Chop mushroom stems finely and set aside.
- Brown and crumble sausage. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Add onions and garlic to the same skillet; cook for 2 minutes over medium low heat.
- Pour in wine to deglaze pan, allow liquid to evaporate.
- Add in chopped mushroom stems, stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese and egg yolk. Stir together with Parmesan cheese.
- Add cooled sausage and cooled mushroom stems. Stir mixture together and refrigerate for a short time to firm up.
- Smear mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, creating a sizable mound over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool at least ten minutes before serving; the stuffed mushrooms taste better when not piping hot.