Member recipe by lburnham
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Batch
- 8OZ PURE BUTTER
- 1TBLSP SYRUP
- 1 TALL TIN EVAPORATED MILK (not condensed)
- 2LBS GRANULATED SUGAR
- Line and lightly oil a tin approx. 12 x 8 inches.
- Put all the ingredients into a strong and faily large saucepan.
- Put on cooker and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. A flat ended wooden spoon is best. Adjust heat to keep boiling but not letting it boil over. take care not to let mixture stick or burn.
- After about 20 mins, the mixture should have darkened in colour. Test a little in a glass of cold water to see if it forms a soft "ball" when rubbed between the fingers. Remove pan from heat to do this. If not ready give a few more minutes and test again. Take care - mixture is very hot!
- When "bal" stage is reached, remove from heat, leave to cool for a few minutes and the BEAT for about 5 minutes, until mixture feels a little "sugary".
- Very carefully pour into prepared tin and leave without moving til it is cold.
- Wait until cool to touch, and tin cooled underneath. Tip out onto thin cutting board. Use a sharp knife and cut into small squares.