Nana's Fruity Chicken Curry
Member recipe by sailor83
My Nana's recipe for fruity chicken curry that she used to make in the 1970's when she was a pub landlady.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sweet apple, Finely chopped (I use granny smith)
- 1 Banana, chopped
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tbsp Mild curry paste. (I use Pataks)
- 1 tsp of Mild Curry Powder
- 350 ml Chicken Stock
- 100 ml Coconut Milk
- Handful of Raisins (Optional)
- Handful of Cashew Nuts (Optional)
- Tin of Chick Peas (Optional)
- Additional Chicken Stock cube (Optional)
- In a large frying pan, fry the chicken breast until browned or, if you prefer you can just drop the raw chicken into the curry later.
- Add the onion, apple and banana to a medium sized casserole dish and fry until the onion has softened. (About 10 minutes)
- Add the curry paste and curry powder and stir into to the mixture.
- Add the chicken stock followed by the chicken.
- Simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with the lid off. The liquid should reduce down.
- Add the coconut milk, raisins, nuts and chick peas (If using) and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed/boiled white rice.